History 2008-05-29

Date/ year

Description

1085

The first historical reference about Łagów appeared in 1085. The chronicler Jan Długosz noted that prince Władysław Herman had given Łagów manor to the Kujawy (Włocławek) bishops. According to the historical source from XII century from 1148, name Łagów ("cum castro Lagow") derives from personal name Łag or Łaga. Probably Łag was the founder, who established the city.

Before
1230

In 1230 the church in Łagów was founded and belonged to the Kielce provostry. Together with establishing the centre of religious worship, the parish church started to function. In 1340 it was situated on the area of 174km2, and was inhabited by 630 people..

1253

In 1253 prince Bolesław Wstydliwy let Wolimir - the Włocławek bishop establish city of Łagów. The historians noticed there had been a city policy by Bolesław V Wstydliwy. In the short period lasting from 1253 till 1278 dozen of cities were established according to the German town laws in the district of Cracow and Sandomierz. Ten of them have kept the location privileges: Bochnia and Łagów (1253), Cracow (1257), Skaryszew (1264), Skała (1267), Koprzywnica (1268), Jędrzejów and Opatowiec (1271), Mstów (1278) and Brzesko (1279). One two of them were prince’s: Bochnia and Kraków and the rest of them were church’s and were set up due to the approval of the prince.

1334

Location of the Piotrów village (name derives from male name Piotr/Peter)

1336

Location of Wola Łagowska village

1st half of XIV c.

Sadków was founded (name derives from the word „sad”- orchard); Gęsice was established (name comes from the word “gęś” - goose); Lechówek was set up (name comes from the male name Lech).

28 July 1375

The Queen Elżbieta of Poland and Hungary had issued the privilege that let Zbilut – Włocławek bishop locate the town on the basis of the village Stary Łagów. The new town received the name Nowy Łagów and also it was given the right to organize the market every Thursday, the townspeople were subjected to the jurisdiction of the mayor and also the local government was established.

1380

Location of the Zbelutka village (name derives from the founder – bishop Zbilut)

1382

Location of Sędek village

10 April 1388

Kujawy bishop Jan sold Łagów town for 60 grzywna (monetarny unit) to the bourgeois Maciej. The property of the mayor was based on two rent-free fields, mill, inn, butcher’s stalls, three ponds and seven peasants.

1390

The king Władysław Jagiełło confirmed the privilage given by the Queen Elżbieta. The civil liberties were afterwards widened by Kujawy bishops and Polish rulers: Władysław Jagiellończyk in 1448 and 1485, Stefan Batory in 1578, Zygmunt III in 1592 and 1595, Władysław IV in 1633 and Stanisław August Poniatowski 1778.

1406

In Łagów there existed the first fully-formed government. It consisted of the mayor, government bench and council.

Before 1409

Before 1409 the production of glass in Zagóra was known. From 1513 till 1532 Maciej Drzewicki, Kujawy bishop founded the glass works on Łagowica river, between the villages Zbelutka and Szachów. Later on, under bishop Jan Karnkowski, two next glass works were set up. In 1598 only two Łagów glass works were functioning, producing high- quality glass and were managed by Szymon and Stanisław Śliwek.

1409

Jan Kropidło, Kujawy bishop and Opole prince, stubbed the neighbouring forests in order to widen the settlement area. The new inhabitamts were discharged of paying the taxes and duties for ten years.

About 1470

In the north side of the Łagów marketplace, there was a half-bricked and half-wooden church

End of XVc.

At the end of XVth century there was a big pottery centre in Łagów and Piórków demesne. It the city itself there were six craft workshops and the goods were produced by 27 potters. A number of the craftsmen in this specialization were also working in the neighboring villages. So as to organize the purchase of the staples and trade of the products, which in XVI and XVII century reached Cracow markets and even Biecz, the potter were associated in the pottery guild. Potter was the most popular occupation by the Łagów townspeople in the Old Polish times. The number of the pottery workshops was never lower than 14 and in the rush periods reached even 30 workshops.

September 1502

The town was burnt by the Tatars.

1534

In 1534 next to Łagów there were opened 3 iron ore mines, smelting furnaces and ore mill. It proves that iron ore was not only educted here but it also had been processed at least since XIV century. At the end of XVI century the number of the mines increased to 4. All of them were managed by the miners: Jakub Durcza, Marcin Głosy, Andrzej Kozłowski and Tomasz Wymieciński. The same mines called Stara Ruda, Kozłowska, Winna and Duraczowska were functioning till 1631.

From 1581 till 1600

The Kujawy bishop Henryk Rozdrażewski built the Gothic, three-aisled, bricked church with the tower in the front.

1824

The city plan of Łagów was created and it included the project of regulations determinig the area of the tow and the possessions.

30s of the XIX c.

The secondary beaten track was going through Łagów joining Sandomierz and Koniecpol.

1843

Łagów belonged to the group of the sixteen biggest towns of Radom province, which had the income around 500 to 1000 rouble.

1869

Łagów lost the town privileges because of participation in the January Uprising

1884

In 1884 Łagów counted 212 houses (including 5 bricked houses) which were inhabited by 2005 people. The townspeople owned 2851 morgen of the land. The Łagów estate was placed in the area of 1385 morgen and consisted of the farms: Łagów, Zamość, Wólka Zamojska and villages: Łagów, Wola Łagowska, Małacentów, Masłowiec, Nowy Staw, Orłowiny, Paprocice, Sędek, Stawki, Winna and Zamkowa Wola.

7 September 1939

On the 7th of September 1939 the German occupation of Łagów started and lasted till the 6th of August 1944. Location of the town along the front zone for a few months in 1944 resulted in its almost total destruction. About 1500 inhabitants died.

On the turn of 1943 and 1944

In the Łagów area, there was created the Special Division of the Infantry Batalion under Eugeniusz Fąfara "Nawrot"’s command. Some of the most important militant successes of the Division were:
- immobilization of the woodyard in Lechów in February 1944,
- wrecking the narrow-gauge railway in Złota Woda village in March 1944,
- fighting a battle against the subunits of German police in Piórków village;
- attacking Nieskurzów village together with the fronts of Soviet army in April and disrupting the Wehrmacht subunits.

28 April 1945

On 28th of April 1945 the first Commune National Council meeting took place in the libertine Łagów. The first chairman of the Council was Maksymilian Stodoła and the mayor of the commune was Jan Piotrowski. The commune Łagów consisted of the following villages: Łagów, Lechówek, Wola Łagowska, Małacentów, Nowy Staw, Orłowiny, Paprocie, Płucki, Sędek, Winna, Zamkowa Wola and Wiśniowa.

1946, 1947, 1950

The following public services started their activity:
Local Cooperative "SCH" (in 1946)
Local Public Library (in 1947)
Cooperative Bank (in 1950)

1973

After the reorganization of the local department of the national administration, Łagów became the seat of the Commune Office. The commune consisted of 18 administrative units: Czyżów, Duraczów, Gęsice, Łagów, Lechówek, Melonek, Piotrów, Sadków, Wola Łagowska, Małacentów, Nowy Staw, Płucki, Sędek, Winna, Zamkowa Wola, Wiśniowa, Zbelutka Nowa, Zbelutka Stara, Złota Woda. These days the commune was inhabited by 7943 people.

1983

Wola Zamkowa joined the Łagów commune as the 19th unit.

2003

Celebration of the 750th anniversary of the Łagów’s location. The honorary citizenship of Łagów was granted to:
- General of the Division Aleksander Poniewierka,
- General of the Brigade Andrzej Pietrzyk,
- General of the Brigade Jan Baraniecki.

2006

Granting the Dean of the Świętokrzyski Decanate and Łagów Parish – Priest Franciszek Grela with the title of the Łagów Citizen of Honor. .





:: © 2007 made by mAxDeSigN Kielce